[Talk-us] importing zip codes

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Mon Feb 17 19:20:06 UTC 2014

On 2/17/14 2:11 PM, osm at charles.derkarl.org wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a shape file from census.gov which contains the boundaries for all zip
> codes in the US. This data should not need licensing in that it comes from the
> us federal census.
>
> I would also like the community to answer this technical question: Each
> boundary obviously shares a border with another zip code. Should those shared
> boundaries have the same way, and then each zip code becomes a relation?
>
> Failing any negative replies, I will cook up an implementation and provide
> some .osm files for review before importing.

be aware that these are not official, these are a census bureau
construction.
the post office considers zips to represent routes, not areas and there
are situations where zips overlap (e.g., different zips for different
offices
in the same building.)

additionally, since this would be an import, i recommend bringing it
up with the US Imports committee. you don't have to go there, but
you do have to get it checked off in the imports mailing list in any
case.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux