[Talk-us] importing zip codes

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Sun Feb 23 00:15:54 UTC 2014

The USPS has a web site for giving ZIP and ZIP+4 values for specified addresses at https://tools.usps.com/go/ZipLookupAction!input.action?mode=0&refresh=true

As near as I can tell from the TOS at http://about.usps.com/termsofuse.htm there is no particular limit to the number of requests per minute and I think that postal code information for an address is public information.

I am considering creating a script that would:
1) Download data for specified area from OSM (or maybe just use a .OSM file saved out of JOSM).
2) Scan the .OSM file for nodes or ways with addresses that are missing postal codes
3) Make requests for those addresses to the USPS site
4) Creating a change set for OSM to add postal code to each node or way that has at a minimum a street and house number.

I'd load that into JOSM and check for reasonableness, etc. before uploading the change. In my case I'd probably only use it for adding postal code information to addresses in areas that I've personally mapped but it could be used elsewhere as well.

Not really a bulk upload or import in the classical sense, but it would be importing ZIP code data from the USPS using a mechanical process so it could be considered an import.

On the implementation side, it looks like the USPS site buries the actual lookup transaction in some JavaScript that uses a framework I am not familiar with. But I'd be surprised if it couldn't be reverse engineered enough to allow access through a script rather than the web page.

What do people think about this? Is it a reasonable idea? Does it violate some rules that I am not aware of?

-Tod