[Talk-us] Help with non-existent school in Big Sur, CA area

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Sun Jan 5 20:21:43 UTC 2014

I'm doing a bit of mapping south of Monterey based on some notes I've
taken two months ago, and I've stumbled over this school on the map:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/36.31044/-121.88636

A search on the Internet doesn't reveal anything called "Sur School". A
search for schools in the area reveals some schools further south - but
nothing close to where this school is on the map and nothing similar
sounding. Also, looking at the satellite imagery, there is nothing close
to this point on the map that looks like either a building or some
remnants of one. There are the disused "Point Sur Naval Facility"
buildings on the other side of the road, but we know what those are and
they are not a school.

I think the best thing to do is to delete this object. However, could
someone who either lives in the area or has local knowledge confirm that
this school really doesn't exist. All the evidence so far points to it
being the case, but it would be nice if we could have "on the ground"
confirmation before I delete it.

Thanks