[Talk-us] [Imports-us] Address Data Import for Fulton County, Georgia

Jason Remillard remillard.jason at gmail.com
Wed Jan 8 02:03:47 UTC 2014

Hi Saikrishna,

I agree with Serge, we need to be 100% sure the license situation is
straight. Often the data providers say the data is in the "public
domain", but in fact, isn't.

Some workflow suggestions
 - In general, you should try to script the workflow from start to
finish. You will be running it many, many times while debugging the
import. The splitting, conversion to OSM, and possibly conflation to
OSM. Many of us on the list would like to look at the code to help
with the QA.
 - ogr2osm allows you to specify an python file on the command line
that can be used to translate the shape file columns to osm tags. I
would look to get things as close as possible with it first. If
needed, then do the rest with the QT program.
 - You should take a look at the addressmerge,
https://github.com/pnorman/addressmerge . Paul's code works without
buildings, it could be a good match.
 - Subscribe to the ny city address import on git hub, review the many
issues they needed to work through. I would also pick a tile from the
ny city import and run the import yourself. You don't need to do it
the same way, but I think it would be useful to be familiar with what
they are doing.
- If you have code to detect differences between the address street
name and the OSM name, you should pull them out and resolve the
differences by hand. Rather than just skipping them. It might be an
opportunity to improve OSM street names.

Things that need to be done that are missing from your wiiki
 - how the uploading is going to happen. If multiple people are going
to do it, they need to be coordinated. Task manager, google spread
sheet, wiki, etc.
 - QA on the data (proper removal of street abbreviations, positional
accuracy).
 - Are you going to fix other things when uploading.
 - You should try to contact any local mappers and ask for help.
http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/oooc

Anyway, I suggest converting the data, double check the license, and
see if you can get some local help. When you have some 100% complete,
ready to upload OSM files, post them onto the list again and we can
see how things look.

Thanks
Jason.