[Talk-us] Relation member order/structure; best effort worth it?

Peter Davies peter.davies at crc-corp.com
Mon Jan 13 12:31:30 UTC 2014

Thanks, Volker.  I checked out the four Italian routes I'd driven last
week, including SS27 (National Route 27).  There are some significant
differences in the ways route relations are used in Italy v. current US
usage.

For example, the main SS27 relation (Aosta-Great St Bernard Pass) contains
many ways from multiple sections of old_ref=SS27, but does NOT include ways
on the recently built SS27 Gignod village bypass "variante di Gignod".
 Instead the old route through the village is maintained in the main SS27
relation.  Meanwhile the new SS 27 Gignod bypass (just 2.8 km in length)
has its own relation, even though it looks and feels like an integral part
of SS27 when you drive it.

In effect the main SS 27 relation is an historical document (which is fine,
but this probably means it couldn't be used by the mapping and info systems
that we have been discussing here).

The other three routes I've checked out in far NW Italy (T1, T2 and A5) are
all "new construction" and look like their US counterparts.