[Talk-us] Quick intro and request to contribute

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Tue Jan 14 04:47:11 UTC 2014

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 6:07 PM, Richard Welty <rwelty at averillpark.net>wrote:

> On 1/13/14 5:56 PM, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > On Jan 13, 2014 4:10 PM, "Richard Welty" <rwelty at averillpark.net> wrote:
> >> 4) consider combining this project with the construction of county
> >> route relations for your area if they're not already there.
> > I've been looking at what it's going to take to handle county road
> > relations in Oklahoma, and that's... a daunting task getting in the realm
> > of "would need to automate" territory for the initial relation creation
> and
> > membership population, since we're talking about hundreds (thousands?) of
> > routes per county...
> >
> well, yes, this will vary from state to state. many (if not most) a
> residential rural road in NC has an assigned state highway
> number, yet obviously we're not marking them all secondary
> and putting in ref tags.

If I happen across a county road with no name, I'll change the name to ref.
 Thanks to the numbering being fairly consistent county to county
throughout southeast Colorado, southern Kansas and the flatter parts of
Oklahoma, you can go quite some distance in open space with no obvious
natural landmarks if you know approximately where you're at on the county
road grid.