[Talk-us] Local user groups

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 01:10:41 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 5:25 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>wrote:

> Meetup is a nice tool to organize local groups. However the cost is
> expensive for individuals to start a Meetup group. I'm wondering if we can
> get some corporate sponsor to help offset the cost of establishing local
> communities. This is a not so subtle hint for all the corporations that
> make money off OSM!

Sponsoring Meetup groups is rather difficult. Meetup doesn't have a way to
sponsor a group's Meetup fees and doing it on a one-by-one basis is a lot
of paperwork (how does one keep track of who gets payment and how do they
make sure the payments are going to Meetup?)

If someone were to relay to Meetup that they'd love to have a way to do
this, that'd be super great...