[Talk-us] Semi-spammy sorta-helpful edit: how to handle

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Wed Jan 15 01:36:11 UTC 2014

>I have not run into much spam in OSM, but while working on the
><http://keepright.ipax.at/>keepright
>link checker I ran into:
><http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Axel's%20Mom/>http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Axel's%20Mom/
>
>Looks like mom pimped up her son's self storage business, but rather clumsily.
>
>I could (a) fix silently  (b) write to her on the off chance she
>will reply  (c) revert.
>
>What do people think?

I ran into something similar:  a note tag entered a week ago by user
Noram (near a new node with name= Noram Auto Repair) which simply
listed "Repair and service of Japanese, and American made automobiles
and trucks."

To the nearby node, I added shop=auto_repair and note=Japanese,
American, truck.  If there WERE an existing tag (like
cuisine=japanese for an amenity=restaurant) I would have used those,
but I didn't feel like inventing one, so I leaned upon a note tag.

That was my way of fixing this note tag at a sweet spot of "quickly
and correctly."  But not thoroughly, I admit (I could have started a
voting page for auto_repair=light_truck, auto_repair=american and so
on).

I didn't ask permission (it was a note tag) and I don't ask
forgiveness (contributing something is better than nothing).  And
while I won't lose sleep over the fact that I didn't posit a whole
sub-tagging scheme (which would be nice, but is a small bit of work),
I could have, done that, as well.  Someone later might come along and
add the phone number and website (if one) to this node, and so on.
One brick at a time is OK.

In short, I took what I had, blended as I know, uploaded something
"appropriate" and didn't go further, though I could have.

SteveA
California