[Talk-us] Semi-spammy sorta-helpful edit: how to handle

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 15 02:47:15 UTC 2014

I run into these all the time in New York, and the thing I do is
generally try to determine the motivation.

If they're a spammer with no office, no attempt at using our tagging system:

This is actually pretty rare (about one every couple of weeks), but
they will look like

name=GOLD 4$HAIR$$
DESCRIPTION=GET GOLD 4 UR HAIR NOW!!!!!
NOTE=U R NOT UNDERSOLD
website=http://gold4hair.biz

I just silently delete those nodes.

Sometimes you will have a node where someone has made a good attempt,
but messed up a detail, and it will look like:

name=Little Tots Toy Store
website=http://littletots.com
phone=555-867-5309
addr:city=New York
addr:street=123 2nd Avenue

For those, I fix and then send them a message thanking them for
joining and contributing, explaining that I fixed it, and that I hope
they ask other businesses to add themselves to OSM either through the
site, or through onosm.org.

And then there's a middle ground. Once, an editor added his bike tour
kiosk as an amusement park, and I messaged him. He never replied, so a
month later, I deleted it.

The middle ground is obviously the tough part, and my advice is "Do your best".

- Serge