[Talk-us] Local user groups

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Wed Jan 15 23:27:52 UTC 2014

On Tue, Jan 14, 2014 at 3:25 PM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>wrote:

> However the cost is expensive for individuals to start a Meetup group.

I recommend either crowd funding a meetup group or getting a local company
to sponsor. Like Ian said, at OSM US we've spent quite some cycles on how
we could support local communities US-wide with paying meetup.com fees but
no matter how you turn it you're looking at a non-neglectible
administrative overhead to manage this plus the very real possibility of
paying for meetup groups that have gone inactive. Funding locally is the
most organic and effective approach.

Funding locally is also a great opportunity to create an active trust of
meetup hosts or involve a local company in OSM :-)