[Talk-us] Local user groups

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Thu Jan 16 01:06:05 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Kam, Kristen -(p) <kristenk at telenav.com>wrote:

> Why can’t you use Meetup for existing groups and also use Facebook as a
> mechanism organize members for new groups and associated events?

Meetup, as others have said, reaches people you'd never find using other
means. When I joined the Seattle group, we had around 50 members. It's now
over 160. Much of the growth comes from people seeing something that speaks
to them. I think we could attract more mappers by expanding Meetup Groups
 into more cities.  According to the wiki, we have groups in 20+ cities.
How about a goal of having active groups in the 50 largest metropolitan
areas in the country?

I'm not sure how many people have discovered us through Facebook. Maybe
someone else can speak to that. Certainly we need to explore more avenues
to grow membership.

I believe if a corporation were to offer grants to individuals and groups
to start Meetups groups we could overcome some of the problems with just
paying for Meetup groups.

--
Clifford

OpenStreetMap: Maps with a human touch