[Talk-us] Any foursquare/OSM editing update? How about Craigslist?

Minh Nguyen minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us
Tue Jan 21 08:57:33 UTC 2014

On 16:18 2014-01-20, Richard Weait wrote:
> Thanks for providing a peek at the inside of MQ, Randy.  :-)
>
> Minh, nice to know that 4S lead to a couple of mappers in your area.
> Are they continuing to map?  Any indication that they  are surveying,
> or are they restricting themselves to armchair mapping?

At least one comes back periodically, mapping restaurant POIs on a
schedule that might correlate with a healthy Foursquare habit, but I'm
not about to creep them out by looking into it. :-) It's local
knowledge, if not GPS-aided surveying. But I wonder if this kind of
interest is limited to the superusers.

Looking through some of the exchanges I've had with new mappers, I found
the following motivations, in no particular order:

  - I'm an orienteer and commercial maps have terrible park coverage.
  - All the Ohio state route shields are missing from MapQuest Open. [1]
  - My GPS unit drives me nuts and I want to load good OSM maps onto it.
  - Bitcoin!
  - OSM costs a fortune less than the county GIS product but needs a bit
of help.
  - My professor assigned me to map my hometown. [2]
  - Just making my neighborhood look nice.

[1] MapQuest Open doesn't understand ref=SR ###. These roadfans are
thrilled to hear about the Shield Renderer.
[2] Introductory GIS courses at Ohio State and the University of
Kentucky in 2012 and 2013, respectively.

minh at nguyen.cincinnati.oh.us