[Talk-us] Local user groups

Clifford Snow clifford at snowandsnow.us
Wed Jan 22 16:10:43 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:59 AM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:

>   The publicity aspect of Meetup really gets people to your events.
> Though i wonder if these people are the long term contributors to OSM that
> we want.

It is in part a numbers game. Only a small percentage will become regular
mappers and of that only a small percentage will become uber mappers.
Certainly the planning for and running the event can positively impact
those numbers. Something cause people to sign up for an event. Hopefully
the people they meet and the satisfaction of mapping will appeal to them.

BTW - I don't have the "right" script yet either. I just keep blindly
trying! The bad thing is that even if you do have the perfect meeting, you
don't know until much later if it worked.

But Meetup also creates an awareness to OSM. People just looking for a
group, will see our Meetups. They may not join, but they see OpenStreetMap.

--
Clifford
@osm_seattle