[Talk-us] Local user groups

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 18:31:24 UTC 2014

I agree with Alex and Paul here. It would be ideal to say "Oh we can
replicate the functionality of a user calendar"- that's absolutely
true. The discovery functionality is what's not replicatable.

I've had one user here in NYC who does not wish to participate on the
meetup because he doesn't want to sign up, but wanted to be kept
informed about events and discussion.

At this time, there's an ical feed for events, and an RSS/Atom feed
for the mailing list. This doesn't allow for full participation, but
it allows anyone who doesn't want to sign up to Meetup to be kept
informed of the events.

Additionally, a third party could collect all the ical feeds and
construct a calendar.

This is not ideal, but neither is Facebook, or Google, or any other
third party service, and it's a lot better than the alternatives.

- Serge