[Talk-us] Help needed with polygon/membership of admin area in Willits, CA

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Sun Jan 26 17:48:03 UTC 2014

On 1/26/14 12:40 PM, Richard Welty wrote:
> On 1/26/14 12:36 PM, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>> I'm doing a bit of mapping in Willits, CA - and a quick search of
>> Willits, CA in OSM returns this lonely polygon in the middle of,
>> pretty much, nowhere:
>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/39.38187/-123.30127
>>
>> According to JOSM, it is a member of a larger membership - but I'm not
>> sure how to use JOSM to find the other group members on the map - to
>> try and guess what's going on. I'm assuming this particular element is
>> some sort of mistake - but if anybody can take a look and clear things
>> up a bit - it would help. I know GNIS imports contain some bad data -
>> but maybe someone could guess what it was all supposed to look like -
>> or why is this polygon where it is.
>>
> it may be fine, i'm bringing it up to look at it now.

ok, i have a couple of comments now that i've seen it.

first, it's from the import of 2008 tiger admin boundaries. it'd be
worthwhile to compare it to the Willits polygons from the 2013
tiger boundaries. some have changed, others have not.

second, none of the polygons have roles. it looks to me like they
should all have role outer, as there seems to be Willits proper and
3 outlying areas. i have added the missing roles.

third, if the 2008 boundary is correct, or close to correct,
then probably someone wanted their property to be annexed by the
city for some reason. these things happen.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search