[Talk-us] Help needed with polygon/membership of admin area in Willits, CA

Sebastian Arcus s.arcus at open-t.co.uk
Sun Jan 26 18:46:59 UTC 2014

On 26/01/14 17:53, Richard Welty wrote:
> On 1/26/14 12:36 PM, Sebastian Arcus wrote:
>> I'm doing a bit of mapping in Willits, CA - and a quick search of
>> Willits, CA in OSM returns this lonely polygon in the middle of,
>> pretty much, nowhere:
>>
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=17/39.38187/-123.30127
>>
>> According to JOSM, it is a member of a larger membership - but I'm not
>> sure how to use JOSM to find the other group members on the map - to
>> try and guess what's going on. I'm assuming this particular element is
>> some sort of mistake - but if anybody can take a look and clear things
>> up a bit - it would help. I know GNIS imports contain some bad data -
>> but maybe someone could guess what it was all supposed to look like -
>> or why is this polygon where it is.
>>
> oh yes, and if you zoom out you'll find Willits proper to the northwest
> of the polygon
> you found.
>
> in JOSM, you can bring up the relation editor on the border polygon, and
> you'll see 3 incomplete members as well as the polygon you found. there
> is a download button for all members on the left edge of the relation
> editor.

Thanks all. Is it possibly to make it so that a search in OSM for
Willits, CA brings up the whole relationship - as opposed to several
separate elements, which when clicked send you to some spot in the
middle of nowhere? If all of them are part of the same relationship -
shouldn't the relationship be named "Willits" - and shouldn't it be the
only one coming up in the search? I'm asking because I'm not sure how
these things work.