[Talk-us] Merging a GNIS node with a TIGER way - for a town

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Wed Jan 29 19:37:42 UTC 2014

On 1/29/14 2:23 PM, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> I generally copy the tags to the boundary (in JOSM copy the node, then
> paste tags into the way).
> The tiger and gnis tags do not overlap.  The GNISID is a particularly
> useful tag to preserve.
gnisid may be the only one worth saving, most of the GNIS: tags are really
worthless.
> Town vs. City is a matter of opinion.  You can visit the municipal website
> and use whatever term they use more often.

er, no. depends on the state. in NY, town, city, village, hamlet, and
borough
all have very distinct legal meanings and there is no opinion about it. i
would not presume to judge these terms in CA.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search