[Talk-us] Beach routing

Kevin Broderick ktb at kevinbroderick.com
Fri Jul 11 14:42:46 UTC 2014

It seems like using the access tags solves the second issue. The first one
I'm less sure about, and it will vary greatly depending on the user and the
vehicle—one person's sandy day from hell is another's fun day on the beach.
And, if my assumption that the whole beach is open to travel by whatever
access tags are placed holds, it makes more sense to promulgate the
convention that the area may be transited than to mark fictitious paths
just to keep the rendering and routing algorithms happy.

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 10:02 AM, Bryan Housel <bryan at 7thposition.com>
wrote:

> I thought about this, but not all beaches are navigable.  Some really are
> pretty treacherous, and I don’t think this is always easy to tell from
> aerial imagery.  I have also been to perfectly navigable beaches where you
> are specifically not allowed to use vehicles because turtles build their
> nests there.
>
> I think it is safer to assume that a beach should not be used for
> navigation unless it’s explicitly tagged for it (and I think a path or
> track is the most straightforward way of tagging this).
>

> On Jul 11, 2014, at 9:04 AM, Andrew Guertin <andrew.guertin at uvm.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> > Contrary to the other replies, why not just teach the routers that
> beaches are something that can be walked (or ridden or driven) on?

Kevin Broderick
ktb at kevinbroderick.com