[Talk-us] More road name expansion thoughts

Mike N niceman at att.net
Sat Jul 19 21:46:06 UTC 2014

On 7/19/2014 2:38 PM, Dale Puch wrote:
> I say retest the script detection and use it regularly for the start/end
> abbreviations.  Expand it to other detection if it can be shown to be
> reliable.

   I think the idea of some additional automated expansion is a good
idea.  Let's circulate the idea for a while to see if anyone knows of
cases which will fail.

   For the end cases Dr, Rd, St, Ave, Ln, Blvd, Cir, Pl and Hwy - I
believe it will work better than 99.9%.

   But in the starting position, I already know of 2 cases that will
produce a false directional and false prefix type.    Perhaps the edge
cases can be tagged to eliminate them from any automated expansion.

> Throw in a semi regular MapRoulette task to look for more complicated or
> vague abbreviations and the problem can be kept under control.  This can
> also be used to verify advanced scripts reliability by offering a
> suggested expansion on the harder names.

   St / Saint on a prefix can be so specialized that only a local could
sort it out.   I suspect that most of the unusual cases would be too
complicated for MapRoulette because of the need to consult with a
governmental reference.