[Talk-us] Teaching with OSM examples (for H.S. STEM class)

Steven Johnson sejohnson8 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 26 17:19:47 UTC 2014

Hi Tanya,

Yes, there are good leads. Interest in using OSM to teach geography has
been growing of late and I've been devoting a larger share of my time to
establish a 'TeachOSM' capability, specifically to provide resources to
teachers who want to use OSM to teach geography.

First, timing is great to start planning for Geography Awareness Week.[0]
This year's theme is 'Food' and during that week we'd like to have students
adding food-related features to the map. I'm part of an organizing group
for this event and I'd be happy to coordinate off-list with your teacher
acquaintance, if you can put me in touch.

Second, Jeff Myer gave a talk at State of the Map US in Portland[1], which
has lots of ideas, particularly on using OSM to teach history. His
presentation also outlines some challenges related to using OSM in the
classroom.

Lastly, I'll also suggest you, your friend, and the high school teacher ask
for leads on the TeachOSM mailing list[2]. There are a number of teachers
on the list, as well as people who share an interest in using OSM to teach
geography. I encourage you, and anyone with an interest in TeachOSM to
subscribe to the list and contribute.

HTH,
Steven

[0]
http://education.nationalgeographic.com/education/programs/geographyawarenessweek/?ar_a=1
[1]
http://www.slideshare.net/gwhathistory/osm-k12-education-sotm-us-2012-pdx

-- SEJ
-- twitter: @geomantic
-- skype: sejohnson8

There are two types of people in the world. Those that can extrapolate from
incomplete data.