[Talk-us] Fwd: USBRS WikiProject seeks volunteer mappers

Kerry Irons irons54vortex at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 11:45:39 UTC 2014

Just a point of clarification for everyone:  AASHTO does not choose US
Bicycle Routes.  The state Departments of Transportation develop the routes,
typically in cooperation with bicycle advocacy groups and with the specific
agreement of local road agencies where the route is not on state controlled
roads, streets or trails.  The DOT submits a map and turn-by-turn
instructions as part of their application to AASHTO.  AASHTO makes sure that
the proposed route number is appropriate within the national USBR corridor
plan but does NOT choose the roads, streets, or trails.

Choices of routes are influenced by a number of factors, and sometimes the
route that most bicyclists agree would be the best is not chosen due to
local road agency concerns.  Likewise a route that many bicyclists would not
prefer is used because it connects other portions of the route that have
highly desirable features.  Every route is a compromise between directness,
road quality, scenic features, traffic density, access to amenities, etc.

Kerry Irons
Adventure Cycling Association