[Talk-us] Nominatim in CDP

Toby Murray toby.murray at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 19:44:36 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 11:09 AM, Clifford Snow <clifford at snowandsnow.us>
wrote:

> I can not search for an address in part of unincorporated King County, WA
> when using the postal city.
>
> Fails - 7732 234th Place Northeast, Redmond, WA
>
> The search works when omitting the postal city. The search returns the
> CDP, Union Hill-Novelty Hill at the correct location.
>
> Passes - 7732 234th Place Northeast, WA
>
> The building is tagged as follows:
> addr:city=Redmond
> addr:housenumber=7732
> addr:street=234th Place Northeast
> addr:postcode=98053
> name=7732
>
> Is this a problem with nominatim or the CDP boundary?

I have nothing to add to the CDP discussion but that is not your problem
here. I looked at this after my own address import. This is definitely a
Nominatim issue. What happens is that Nominatim associates address points
with roads. In order to reduce duplication, some information is associated
with roads instead of on the individual address points themselves. This
includes addr:city which is assigned to roads based on containment within
an administrative boundary, not based on any addr:city tags on address
nodes.

You could fix this by adding an addr:city tag to the road that these
addresses belong to. This overrides any admin boundary containment. However
this seems like a case of "tagging for the geocoder" and I think Nominatim
needs to be changed to make this problem better. Like, if all addresses
being associated with a given road have the same addr:city tag on them then
it should carry that over to the road and override anything Nominatim comes
up with on its own.

As an example I did add an addr:city tag to one road:
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/13226787

Notice that if you search for an address along Cottonwood Circle with
Manhattan in the search (ex: 3700 Cottonwood Circle, Manhattan, KS) it
finds it. But if you search for an address on the neighboring road (ex:
6001 Stony Brook Drive, Manhattan, KS)  it finds nothing until you remove
the Manhattan at which point it finds the address but reports it to be
simply in Riley County.

Toby