[Talk-us] Nominatim in CDP

Brian Quinion openstreetmap at brian.quinion.co.uk
Tue Jun 24 12:52:35 UTC 2014

Hi,

So from my point of view as a nominatim developer the issue is that
there are (at least?) 2 types of city in the USA.

There are administrative cities and there are postal cities.  There
are also census areas, which may or may not be their own category of
thing.

At the moment all of these are tagged in exactly the same way:

boundary=administrative
type=boundary
plus an admin_level

There is nothing that lets us tell them apart so we are left to pick
the 'best' city.

Adding individual 'city' tags to houses doesn't help much.  Do you
mean admin city or postal city? Same issue. In most cases we actually
want to find and link to both.

So - my suggestion would be to introduce tagging that makes the
distinction.  Ideally to create boundary=postal or something like that
rather than tagging every road or house with duplicate information.

Thoughts?
--
 Brian