[Talk-us] End of an Era, data collection to slow in Oklahoma, project announcement

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Tue Jun 24 16:43:04 UTC 2014

Paul Johnson writes:
>NCN and RCN pages would be handy as well.

I agree, however....

Paul, as you know from being a contributor to this WikiProject, in
the USA, we might consider that there already is what effectively
amounts to an "NCN" (national cycleway network) page:

https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/WikiProject_U.S._Bicycle_Route_System

This lists both Approved and Proposed USBRs in table format
(respectively) along with BrowseRelation entries for each of them:
roughly speaking, a couple dozen of "these" and a couple of dozen of
"those."  Furthermore, this wiki endeavors to keep the status of
changes in the USBRS itself exactly updated with these tables, making
this wiki not only a comprehensive listing, but a "status report" of
how well OSM tracks its "absorption" of the USBRS as a national
network (of route relations).

Now, "RCN" (regional/state cycleway networks) as an organized table
in OSM?  Well, there are several such statewide tables (like
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Ohio/Route_relations/Bicycle_routes,
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/North_Carolina/Bike_Routes,
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_York/Bike_Routes and
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Illinois/Bike_Routes) but I do
not believe there is a comprehensive table that lists these for each
state.  I believe that each state which has statewide bicycle routes
(as these four do) having its own wiki, with its own table, listing
its own rcn relations is a good model to continue to follow.
Although I DO wish that more states which have rcns would create/have
their own pages (are you listening, Georgia and Delaware, for
example)?!

Also, Paul, thanks for all the OSM editing you have done over the years.

SteveA
California