[Talk-us] Marking of turn:lanes in the cases of an implied right turn

Chris Lawrence lordsutch at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 21:17:15 UTC 2014

On Wed, Jun 25, 2014 at 4:10 PM, Martijn van Exel
<martijn at openstreetmap.us> wrote:
> I would say the markings on the road govern the decision, as Tod
> suggested. I have not attempted to map these yet myself, though.
>
> These would probably not be used for routing, but it would be
> interesting for guidance, especially lane guidance.

FWIW the Google Maps lane guidance marks right turns from right lanes,
even in cases where there aren't actual arrows on the road surface or
regulatory signage. Having said that, like left turn (and straight)
from the leftmost lane, it's basically implied by traffic laws in
most, if not all, countries, so explicit tagging seems likely just to
bloat the OSM database with redundant information.

Chris
--
Chris Lawrence <lordsutch at gmail.com>

Website: http://www.cnlawrence.com/