[Talk-us] IR boundary tagging

Paul Norman penorman at mac.com
Wed Jun 25 22:59:58 UTC 2014

On 2014-06-25 3:36 PM, Steve All wrote:
> Paul Norman wrote:
>> I took TIGER data and produced data showing what some states would look
>> like: https://gist.github.com/pnorman/30244b2984216285735d
>
> Those are truly excellent visualizations, Paul.  Thank you for
> producing them.  Whether "right" or "wrong" this shows the power of a
> little bit of OSM, a little bit of geojson magic, and a little bit of
> "what if?"  Nice!
>
> SteveA
> California

In case anyone was wondering how I produced these, I loaded the TIGER state
and reserve shapefiles into a postgis database, created a new table with
reserves subtracted from each state, used ogr2ogr to pull out data state by
state into a geojson with simplification, and uploaded to github as a gist.

I opted not to use OSM data because it was both too large when I only
needed
states, and many reserves are not yet in OSM. Additionally, at the level of
detail I was after, I knew that TIGER would have no issues.