[Talk-us] Nominatim in CDP

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Jun 26 19:33:12 UTC 2014

On 6/26/14 3:20 PM, John F. Eldredge wrote:
> Postal code usually means Zip code, or its non-USA equivalent, not city.
this is one of those fussy points in US geocoding.

the zip code can be mapped to the postal "city", which is what is
in everyone's addresses, and is what i think most us residents
initially expect when typing an address into a search box.

the underlying point being that there isn't one true geocoder,
it depends entirely on what you're trying to accomplish. something
driven by postal codes/addresses can be correct for many
applications, while being wrong for others.

to my mind the fact that we keep going in circles about this
is evidence that we're thinking about the problem the wrong way.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search