[Talk-us] State ref tags on ways: Use of unique ISO/ANSI/USPS 2-letter state codes in RELATIONS as well as WAYS?

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Mar 11 23:48:15 UTC 2014

On 3/11/14 7:04 PM, Peter Davies wrote:
> I thought I would make my proposal stand out a bit more by adding words to
> the title.  :-O
>
> There are some weird things, like Nebraska's state law that requires NDOR
> to have a state road link to every community of a 100 people or more. I've
> changed some "Link 80F" ref tags to "NE 80F Link" and "Spur nnX" tags to
> "NE nnX Spur" without having time to do the whole state.
>
> AZ has its "Loop 101" and "Loop 202" freeways for which I would advocate
> refs "AZ Loop 101" and "AZ Loop 202".
>
> Texas also has many weird qualifiers on minor state routes but as I've
> never contracted there for 511 I'm not totally familiar with them.

On relations, i think we have a clear, agreed upon standard that
the network tag indicates the grouping of highways to which a particular
route belongs, and the ref tag indicates the identifier within that group.

so you end up with something like

network=US:AZ:Loop
ref=101

although some might prefer

network=US:AZ
ref=Loop 101

either one contains enough information in an easily parsed format to allow
data consumers to accomplish what they need to do. i lean towards the former
tagging approach myself.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux