[Talk-us] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Alex Barth alex at mapbox.com
Thu Mar 13 14:26:23 UTC 2014

Hello everyone -

I've been sitting on writing about the detrimental effects of
OpenStreetMap's share-alike license (ODbL) for a while and finally decided
to, um, share. I've been listening long to many OpenStreetMappers I respect
a ton telling me it's not so bad and it's just what we're stuck with right
now. But given how bad share alike is for OpenStreetMap I don't think we
should give up for pushing for a more open license. Here's why I think
share-alike hurts OpenStreetMap and how this keeps OpenStreetMap from
having the full impact it could have:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/lxbarth/diary/21221

Looking forward to your comments,

Alex