[Talk-us] State ref tags on ways: Use of unique ISO/ANSI/USPS 2-letter state codes in RELATIONS as well as WAYS?

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Sat Mar 15 14:41:45 UTC 2014

* Toby Murray <toby.murray at gmail.com> [2014-03-12 00:33 -0500]:
> I went and verified some things about bannered routes. It looks like the
> current shield rendering looks for network=X:Y:Modifier. So for example the
> US 50 truck route in Cincinnati is network=US:US:Truck and ref=50.
[snip]
> Looking around it looks like the other convention that has some decent use
> in the database (but is not currently supported by any renderings) is to
> add a modifier=Truck/Business/Spur/etc tag.

I believe the wiki recommends that bannered routes get a modifier tag in
addition to having the modifier in the network tag, so US 50 Truck is
network=US:US:Truck, ref=50, modifier=Truck.  The idea is that data
consumers can get the parent route network by subtracting modifier from
network.  (But data consumers that don't care about parent route networks,
like the shield rendering, don't have to know about the modifier tag.)

I don't know of any data consumers that make use of the modifier tag
currently, but there weren't many consumers making use of route relations
in general before the shield rendering.

--- --
The truth is not free.  It's that simple.  If you change the truth, it is
no longer true - so the truth is not free!
                       -- Jules Bean about freeness of documentation