[Talk-us] State ref tags on ways: Use of unique ISO/ANSI/USPS 2-letter state codes in RELATIONS as well as WAYS?

Clay Smalley claysmalley at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 20:38:12 UTC 2014

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 7:01 PM, Shawn K. Quinn <skquinn at rushpost.com>wrote:

> "Weird" is a matter of opinion, but I only know of Farm Road (FM), Ranch
> Road (RM or RR), Park Road (PR), the one-off NASA Road 1 (which I can
> concede is a bit unusual), the semi-standard Spur and Loop, and "normal"
> state highway. Am I missing any?

Texan here. Off the top of my head:

FM (Farm to Market)
RM (Ranch to Market)
Park Road
Recreational Road
Spur
Loop
Toll

And the one-off routes:
Beltway 8
NASA Road 1
OSR

I know that the MapQuest Open renderer recognizes a lot of these without
the road being in a relation (which is super useful, because Texas has a
lot of roads and it's difficult, and in my opinion unnecessary, to make a
relation for each one). Because of this, I'm hesitant to change the ref=*
tags of these roads.