[Talk-us] Why we really don't get new users

Darrell Fuhriman darrell at garnix.org
Tue Mar 18 00:52:53 UTC 2014

I made exactly this point a while back on the diversity-talk list.

The consequence of this is that by self-limiting *who* the mappers are, we also limit the types of things that will ever appear on the map.

It’s even evident in your statement "This map geek and his son?” — a point that well made by Alyssa Wright in her discussion at SotM of the gendered nature of OSM data.

Plus, most (all?) of the tools assume you might want to edit anything and everything on the map. Most people probably don’t, and seeing streets and ways and relations when all you really wanted to do was add your child’s school, or the new bike path for them to get school is going to be an immediate turn off.

That being said, things like PushPin and iD have gone a long way to lowering the barrier to entry, but it’s still pretty damn substantial.

Darrell