[Talk-us] Why we really don't get new users

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Mar 18 01:20:39 UTC 2014

> On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 1:17 PM, <osm at charles.derkarl.org> wrote:
>
>> The tagging of things bears little resemblance to things in the real
>> world:
>

> I agree, first of all, i tried to explain to someone how to tag a cafe/bar
> and he was confused and so was I.

amenity=cafe, is this really so difficult?

> why would americans want to learn british names for things?

actually they should learn "tags" (or use some abstraction layer like
presets) not "British names". If we all used tags in our native languages
it would maybe complicate stuff? Would be interesting to see what you wrote
if americans had to deal with German or Russian tags ;-)
You can translate this to a certain point, but you'll get more blur about
the meaning of a tag I guess, maybe up to the point where it gets useless,
but at least you'll loose the details. Ever read an automatically
translated appliance manual?

cheers,
Martin