[Talk-us] OpenStreetMap Isn't All That Open, Let's Change That and Drop Share-Alike

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 06:01:42 UTC 2014

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 3:42 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com
> wrote:

> > Am 17/mar/2014 um 02:28 schrieb Greg Morgan <dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com>:
> >
> > If I need to split a building, the original primary key does not stay
> with one of the two pieces of the building.  Two new buildings are created
> with two new primary keys.
>

> as a side note this is not like you described, the original way id will
> remain on one of the two pieces (at least with Josm you can also control
> which)

I stand corrected on the pkey issue the way that Josm works.  This is what
I was thinking about when I made the comment about pkeys.

8:00 minutes into "A Gazetteer for the Library of Congress" Schuyler Erle
states, "As you probably know OSM does not have permanent identifiers for
anything which is one of the requirements for this project."
http://vimeopro.com/openstreetmapus/state-of-the-map-us-2013/video/68099833

I ran two change sets to test and a third to delete the prior tests.

Stock JOSM version 6891 in non-expert mode.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/21186226
267171718, v1
267171717, v1
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/21186240
267171718, v2
267171717, v2
267171816, v1
267171815, v1
267171814, v1
267171813, v1
http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/21186252

The gist of the problem remains. If ...1718 and ...1717 are imported from a
source and OSM mappers and the source are going to help maintain the data
after giving away the farm,  how do I know in the original source that
there are three new segments to each of my original lines?  How do I know
which of the ..181[3456] segments belong to the originating segments?  If a
gnis name was imported as a node and expanded to a way,  how do I track
this?  This is especially true, if the import node is deleted and not added
as part of the way.  The tags are all moved to the way, which has a pkey
from another sequence.