[Talk-us] State ref tags on ways

Carl Simonson simonsonc at gmail.com
Thu Mar 27 01:52:37 UTC 2014

Let's not forget about segments that are part of multiple routes. For
example, there's a section of I-35 in northern Missouri that is both I-35
and US 110. Or in Ames, IA there's a section of US 30 that's also known as
I-35 Business.

How should these things be tagged? Most have the standard names separated
by semicolons, as is standard for most multi-entry values. My first example
is tagged "I 35;110", the second "I 35 Business;US 30". Should these be
tagged this way? Or should it only be the most common ref (e.g. I-35)?

It seems to me like the "ref" tag really isn't all that useful for ways
anyway, because what we are really trying to tag is networks, not
individual roads.

Carl Simonson
simonsonc at gmail.com