[Talk-us] State ref tags on ways

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 06:53:41 UTC 2014

Interesting note about this in Maryland. My friend Mike showed me that some
mappers have been using the *county* route numbers on some county roads in
Maryland. All county roads in MD have a 4 digit number that starts with CO,
like CO1150. CO is also the state abbr. for Colorado. Chaos ensues on the
renders that show shields when people do this in MD. Check out the Colorado
shields in Maryland on Mapquest Open. That's sure to confuse people.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=12/38.2659/-76.5211&layers=Q

For this reason, I advocate for the US:MD:CO reference someone mentioned.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2014 at 4:04 AM, Alexander Jones <happy5214 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Carl Simonson wrote:
>
> > Let's not forget about segments that are part of multiple routes. For
> > example, there's a section of I-35 in northern Missouri that is both I-35
> > and US 110. Or in Ames, IA there's a section of US 30 that's also known
> as
> > I-35 Business.
>
> 110 is actually a state route, used to sign the Chicago-Kansas City
> Expressway.
>
> Alexander

Elliott Plack
http://about.me/elliottp