[Talk-us] State ref tags on ways

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Fri Mar 28 15:33:12 UTC 2014

Phil,

That's right. I would use unsigned_ref for county routes. In Baltimore
County the county route numbers are never signed and not really even
advertised. You'd have to look at SHA databases to figure out the ref. Here
is an example using the proposed tagging (without using relations).

http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/21367512#map=17/39.41966/-76.62618

Elliott

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 9:34 AM, Phil! Gold <phil_g at pobox.com> wrote:

> * Elliott Plack <elliott.plack at gmail.com> [2014-03-28 02:53 -0400]:
> > Interesting note about this in Maryland. My friend Mike showed me that
> some
> > mappers have been using the *county* route numbers on some county roads
> in
> > Maryland.
>
> Since Maryland counties don't sign their route numbers[0], they're using
> unsigned_ref=, not ref= in their way and route relation tagging, right?
>

> [0] In any county I'm directly familiar with, at least; I don't go to
>     southern Maryland much, and I don't usually venture far outside the US
>     50 corridor on the Eastern Shore.

Elliott Plack
http://about.me/elliottp