[Talk-us] Sidewalks as footpaths

Russ Nelson nelson at crynwr.com
Thu May 1 04:19:31 UTC 2014

Kai Krueger writes:
 > But in the US (at least in suburbia), the sidewalks are often much
 > more detached from the road with wide grass strips between
 > them. They also sometimes aren't entirely parallel to the road.

Indeed. In Potsdam, NY, we get enough snow that we need those wide
grass strips to plow the snow onto. But they're not practical in some
places, so the sidewalk can come close to the road in places. It's
still a sidewalk, though, and not a "way" of its own.

There is not a wonderful solution for how do map pedestrian routing
when it differs from road-associated routing.

Crynwr supports open source software
521 Pleasant Valley Rd. | +1 315-600-8815
Potsdam, NY 13676-3213  |     Sheepdog