[Talk-us] OSM Inspector and streets with E/N/S/W in their name

Mike N niceman at att.net
Thu May 1 10:15:16 UTC 2014

On 4/30/2014 11:59 PM, David K wrote:
> If a street has name=Elm Street but a house has addr:street=S Elm St, I
> consider this perfectly valid (in a city that in fact has only one Elm
> Street).  (Sidebar: I use USPS abbreviations in addr:street values
> because that's how USPS prefers mail to be addressed.)  To have a
> program present this as an "error" will could editors to change the
> presentation of good data against established local conventions.

   I'm not at all clear about OSM conventions in representing USPS
mailing addresses VS city boundary of residence.   I've never attempted
to handle OSM notes of the sort "I'm in X city, but CraigsList shows me
in Y city".

  Most new OSM contributors would enter the "S Elm St" form, but this is
different from the established convention of creating road names without
abbreviations.