[Talk-us] [Imports] Importing building data for Anne Arundel County MD

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Thu May 1 16:36:16 UTC 2014

>On Thu, Dec 12, 2013 at 05:17:59PM -0800, Paul Norman wrote:
>>  > I'm also investigating house/building numbers to properly address the
>>  > county as well.
>>
>>  I would suggest handling the building outlines separately, and at the
>>  least waiting until you know if you'll be getting addresses before handling
>>  buildings.
>
>Eric H. Christensen wrote:
>I haven't had a chance to work on this as of recent but figured I'd
>follow up on this piece of the puzzle.  The GIS department doesn't
>"own" the address data but referred me to the county police who
>does.  They are not willing to share this information and only allow
>other governmental agencies to have this information so it doesn't
>look like that part will be happening.

Very likely (check Maryland Public Record statutes to be sure), YOU
own the address data.  It seems the county police simply act as
trustees.  That makes YOU not only the beneficiary (of that trust of
public data ownership), but the executor as well.  Use those
abilities (perhaps with a formal request under state law) to obtain
YOUR data.

Without getting too political about it, I don't see why We, the
People succumb to government agencies when they say "No" like this.
We invented them, we elect them, we create laws that enable
everything they do, we pay them to serve us.  So when one of the
things they do is create and maintain geographic data, let's remind
them who they work for and where the commonwealth of belonging
actually originates:  in us.  (Politely, of course).

Look at any "org chart" of city, county, state or federal government
(in these fifty states).  You will always find that right at the very
tippy-top, ABOVE the mayor, ABOVE the supervisors, ABOVE the
governor, ABOVE the president is "THE ELECTORATE."  That is We, the
People.  That is YOU.

Ask, and you shall receive.  If not, make a formal request under your
state's Public Records laws.  That's how it works around here,
anyway.  (Green pastures in California?  Maybe.  But there are 49
other states, too).

SteveA
California