[Talk-us] Local groups on the map!

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Wed May 7 13:08:48 UTC 2014

On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 8:32 PM, Martijn van Exel <m at rtijn.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I mentioned this in another thread but it may have gotten buried.
>
> Have you ever wanted to see all local OSM groups on a map? If you're
> anything like me, you have!

Yes.  Yes I have wanted to see local OSM groups on a map.  :-)

1) Could you use the existing usergroups wiki templates to populate
your map as well?  It would be fabulous to have this implementation be
an extension and improvement to the existing
usergroups.openstreetmap.de map, rather than a separate implementation
with different tools.

Why?  Your argument that the wiki templates are too difficult for some
local organizers has merit.  A local organizer who wishes to be on the
group maps (two of them, now) still needs to know how to use the wiki
template, and now needs to know the json / pull request process to be
included in your map as well.  The requirement to maintain the same
data in two places does not seem like an improvement for that local
organizer.  :-)

2) Consider dropping polygons and using points only.  I suggest that
the points be the location of the meeting place, only.  That is likely
the most important location information for the potential attendee who
is using this map.

Why drop polygons?  No argument that the polygons are cool; I'm with
you there.  It is unclear to me what the polygons are supposed to
indicate.  For argument sake I'll suggest a couple of non-helpful
meanings for the polygons.

a) A polygon indicates an area of exclusivity, and no other OSM groups
are permitted within the area without the permission of the existing
official group.
b) A polygon indicated the catchment area, and no person with an
interest in OpenStreetMap may attend a local group if they are outside
of the catchment area.
c) Our polygon is bigger than your polygon because our group is
more-official than your group.  Interested persons should attend
groups that have the largest polygon.

I suggest that the coolness in favour of the polygons is outweighed by
the potential negative interpretations of why the polygons are there.

Best regards,

Richard

P.S.  And you should start a local group.  It's fun.  You can do it.
It's a benefit to the OpenStreetMap community within your community.