[Talk-us] Sidewalks as footpaths

Bill R. WASHBURN dygituljunky at gmail.com
Thu May 8 12:53:26 UTC 2014

I don't agree about data clutter ever being a problem. Mis-tagged data can
be a problem.

Separate sidewalk data is useful for wheelchair/accessibility routing, for
marking steps on the sidewalk on a steep road, for marking the
intersections with driveways, for marking ramps and crosswalks, for showing
the spatial relationship between sidewalks and obstacles (power poles, fire
hydrants, bicycle racks, benches, bus stops shelters, etc.).

I think that tying two dimensional data to a one dimensional roadway will
mean that we will eventually have to come back to add the data as OSM gets
more data-dense. OSM has long since become more than just a map about roads
and already includes boat navigation information, runway information,
trails, buildings, radio towers, etc.; adding sidewalks won't hurt but
should help.

I'm for the idea of mapping sidewalks separately in all cases, tying them
to their roadways with relations, and including as much data as possible
about ramps, obstacles, crosswalks, and driveway intersections. Sidewalks
should only connect to a roadway where there is a crosswalk and should
otherwise be connected by driveways and such.

Bill R. WASHBURN