[Talk-us] Telenav goes OSM with Scout

Martijn van Exel m at rtijn.org
Tue May 20 13:58:52 UTC 2014

On May 20, 2014, at 5:04 AM, Mike N <niceman at att.net> wrote:

> Congratulations on the switch - I'm looking forward to this.
>
> On 5/20/2014 2:30 AM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
>> We have done a good chunk of work improving OSM to be ready for this,
>> mostly in the very same way everyone here improves the map: by opening
>> up our favorite editors and manually editing the data[1]. But also by
>> analyzing the data and pointing out errors, which we have started to
>> feed to MapRoulette.
>
>  Do you see reported errors being handled through Maproulette, Notes or a combination of those?

That’s a good question. The errors I was talking about above, the ones we detect through data analysis, are most likely to be fed back through MapRoulette. Because most of them are ‘suspicions’ rather than straight up errors. Example is the ’smoothing ways’ challenge. That needs human attention for sure, especially because many of those errors need clean up in the area around the actual detected error.

As for Scout user feedback - we don’t know yet. OSM Notes may be a good vehicle, but we want to make sure first that the reported errors are of good enough quality. Part of them we may route through MapRoulette as well. We will be monitoring and evaluating over the next few weeks and see what the best way is.

Martijn