[Talk-us] Telenav goes OSM with Scout

Mike N niceman at att.net
Tue May 20 18:36:21 UTC 2014

On 5/20/2014 2:13 PM, Martijn van Exel wrote:
> Makes me wonder, how many of you use Mapdust? What types of things do
> you end up fixing most?

   I did use Mapdust back in the day - there isn't much new showing up,
so I only monitor Notes these days.

    For regional fixes, I would schedule a "missing speed limit" report
for a video speed limit survey.

    It was great at calling out missing 1-way streets, but it would
require a survey.  I think Scout covers that already with statistics
which is better.

   Sometimes it would call out missing roads that I could add from
TIGER.  Maproulette / TIGER battleship has addressed the many of the
missing streets already.

   A few would be wrong street names or bad geometry telling them to
turn at the wrong place - that could be fixed from Bing.

   There might be an occasional report of a wrong street name - and a
case where the refreshed TIGER confirmed the report and I could make the
correction.

    The remainder would be an address in the wrong place.  Most of those
would have taken a survey or public address data to correct.

    Recently, I found an OSM note in which an Android routing App
incorrectly routed a long distance around a closed part of a major
secondary road.  Upon inspection, it appeared to be a tiny road segment
that was accidentally deleted.    Now that many major roads have route
relations, those could be monitored for a break - and then called out
for a check to see if is a temporary construction closure or accidental
deletion.

   Mike