[Talk-us] Mapnik not rendering leisure=nature_reserve

stevea steveaOSM at softworkers.com
Fri May 23 23:15:59 UTC 2014

Awww:  mapnik recently stopped rendering leisure=nature_reserve!  As
I have tagged many, many natural preserves and wilderness boundaries,
I will REALLY miss seeing the little green "NR" text on areas with
this very high level of protection.  Can we bring this back?  Please?
Was it just an oversight / mistake?

I know, I know:  a rendering is not "the map" as the tags are still
there.  Nonetheless, beautiful renderings that included NR where it
exists simply don't visually convey fully accurate information any
longer.  Is that what our map is becoming?  Mapnik is known as our
"Standard" renderer, our "trade dress" if you will.  While I fully
support it becoming better, I (and I suspect many others) must say
something when I see it becoming stupider.  Truly, I hope this was
just an honest mistake and somebody takes this as (a slightly
impolite) bug report.

Does stuff like this just happen (sneakily) in the middle of the
night?  No discussion?  No wider consensus?

Who DO we talk to about changes/improvements in the mapnik renderer
style sheet (changes)?  Will they even listen?

Thanks to anybody who might answer this shout into the (mapnik
renderer) wilderness,

SteveA
California