[Talk-us] USBRS WikiProject seeks volunteer mappers

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Sat May 31 21:40:30 UTC 2014

Hi,

On 05/31/2014 11:24 PM, Ian Dees wrote:
> How is this any different than adding bus routes? Are we considering
> those imports now, too?

The difference between an import and normal manual mapping is usually
not *what* gets into OSM but *how*.

If someone deducts bus routes because they travel on the bus frequently,
or they know from signage where the bus goes, or they see the bus, or
maybe even take an educated guess because they know the area, and they
then map the bus route, nobody has an issue with that and they certainly
don't need to discuss that with the community first.

If someone starts a project that says "hey, please everybody help get
this bus route data set into OSM", then it is an import and they should
seek community buy-in first.

This whole un-signposted-cycle-route discussion has been going back and
forth between stevea and DWG for a while; the underlying problem was not
so much whether this was an import or not (that only came up later), but
whether routes that cannot be verified on the ground (other than looking
them up in material provided by the authority that defined the route)
have a place in OSM at all.

My personal suggestion in this matter has been: Technically it is not ok
(because not verifiable easily enough) but hey, it will be tolerated if
you don't make a big deal of it. Now that stevea has chosen to disregard
my friendly advice and make a big deal of it by seeking people to help
him import this data set, I believe we should have a broader discussion
about whether such material that is not verifiable on the ground should
be accepted into OSM at all.

Bye
Frederik