[Talk-us] Tagging a seasonally closed roads with uncertain spring opening

Kevin Broderick ktb at kevinbroderick.com
Mon Nov 3 02:28:48 UTC 2014

Having recently moved to Red Lodge, Montana, I'm trying to update some of
the map data around here, as a lot of it is untouched TIGER data that seems
to be fairly imaginative.

Just south of town, US-212 is closed for the winter. The closing date is
mid-October (varies a little year-to-year, but it is calendar-based) and
the opening date is based on when the road is clear of snow, ice, and other
debris (i.e. significant variation year-to-year is possible).

When the road is closed, it is truly closed (per signs and gate); it's not
just a "unmaintained, travel at your own risk" situation.

Anyone have suggestions for tagging this segment of road? date_on and
date_off were the best options I came up with in a search, but the
variation in opening date seems to make that a bad choice.

--
Kevin Broderick
ktb at kevinbroderick.com