[Talk-us] Tagging a seasonally closed roads with uncertain spring opening

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Mon Nov 3 15:03:25 UTC 2014

seems access=seasonal isn't in wide use but would be correct.

At first glance, I'd prefer a tag that works to get the message out
correctly all the time.  So, access=seasonal or similar.  That would
work for a consumer who received the data when the road was open, but
tried to navigate when the road was closed.

an additional seasonal:access:link="http://dot.highway-pass-status.example/gate-7/"
would be super helpful, if such a service exists.

http://taginfo.osm.org/search?q=access%3Dseasonal

faking it, to get it to "render" on a particular map is not
recommended. So, highway=construction, or similar, wouldn't apply.

I imagine that other communities with mountain passes will have
considered this,  perhaps ask on talk@ and hope for a reply from a
mapper in the Alps, etc. :-)

Easy for me to say from my frying-pan-flat glacial-run-off plain.  :-)