[Talk-us] New I.D Feature

Elliott Plack elliott.plack at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 04:17:57 UTC 2014

Thinking more on this, and using my experience in the foursquare superuser
editing community, trying to have a single "state" type entity is really
quite hard to scale globally. Political boundaries and administrative
levels vary all over the world, and trying to establish a single name for a
smaller political unit than the country is really challenging. State?
Province? Municipality? There are many names for what a US State is (if you
can really compare it out), and so to use addr:state does seem fairly USA
focused.

Before the state showed up in iD, I had assumed someone could just easily
derive the US state from the postal code.

Perhaps the tag should be addr:us_state?

Kindly,

Elliott