[Talk-us] New I.D Feature

Greg Morgan dr.kludge.gm at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 20:45:11 UTC 2014

I believe that the is_in tag has what you may be looking for and it appears
to have a well thought out structure.[1] You can still use addr:city to
reflect the correct postal city.[2].

The tag has the same concern as addr:state
"When a region has a well developed set of boundary polygons the
information that could be placed in the is_in tag on an object can usually
be derived from the boundaries that contain it. In this case, the
information in the tag is redundant. Some contributors even go as far as to
delete this tag when they see it as equivalent to the boundary
information.[2]

Add the debate goes on: it is redundant and removed but uses for offline
non-GIS use are overlooked.

" more importantly when searching by street name, e.g. for 'High Street',
it can tell you which of the many results you get back is likely to be the
one you want, by saying 'High Street;Fulbourn;Cambridgeshire' and 'High
Street;Chapel-en-le-Frith;Derbyshire'. David.earl
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:David.earl> October 14, 2006This
is already accomplished automatically without the use of is_in tag in
Nominatim <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Nominatim>, the latest
search engine. --Gorm <https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Gorm> 15:08,
6 April 2010 (UTC)Yeah, Nominatim is great! Where can i download it for
offline navigation on my android with 8 GB sdcard? --Themroc
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=User:Themroc&action=edit&redlink=1>
20:46,
21 May 2011 (BST) [2]

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:is_in